Kenmore refrigerators are known to use an energy-saving feature that uses the compressor to turn off when it isn’t needed. This can cause some issues with the fridge cooling properly, but if you follow these steps, you should be able to fix your problem in no time.
The most common issue is that the fridge will not cool, and the freezer will not freeze. Several different problems can cause this, so this article teaches how to fix the Kenmore fridge not working or the cooling issue.
Why is Kenmore Fridge Not Working/Cooling
Kenmore fridge not cooling, Kenmore fridge not cooling well, Kenmore refrigerator not working properly
Kenmore refrigerator might not be working properly because of the following reasons:
- The refrigerator is plugged in, and the power cord is connected correctly.
- The refrigerator has been running continuously for more than 24 hours without being unplugged or turned off by a power outage.
- The thermostat has been set to a temperature below the desired temperature range of the appliance.
- The interior light is on, and the indicator light is flashing. Still, the refrigerator door does not open or close when pressing the opener button on the inside of the door panel or using a keypad entry system on the exterior of the door panel.
Why is Kenmore Fridge Not Cooling but Freezer Working
Kenmore refrigerator not cooling but freezer working is a common problem for many homeowners. Here are five reasons why your Kenmore fridge might not be cooling, but your freezer is working fine.
- The compressor in the refrigerator has been replaced, and the new compressor does not work the same as the old one.
- The thermostat in the refrigerator has been replaced, and the new thermostat does not work as well as the old one.
- The refrigerant lines have been replaced, and they do not have enough refrigerant to cool properly anymore.
- The thermistor has been replaced, and it doesn’t function properly anymore either, or it may be defective or dirty with ice buildup on it that’s preventing it from sending an accurate reading.
How to fix Kenmore Fridge Not Working/Cooling
The guide will help you fix your Kenmore fridge by giving you a step-by-step process to fix it. The guide is divided into three sections:
- First, you will need to figure out if your fridge has an ice maker, water dispenser, or both.
- Next, you will need to determine which of the following issues is affecting your refrigerator’s cooling performance:
- a) Refrigerator not cooling properly – If your refrigerator is not cooling down properly and the temperature inside the fridge is consistently high, this may be due to a clogged evaporator coil or defrost heater.
- b) Refrigerator making too much noise – If your refrigerator makes excessive noise while running or off, this may be due to a clogged condenser fan or a clogged evaporator coil.
- c) Refrigerator not cooling properly and the temperature is low. If your refrigerator can’t keep the food cool, this may be due to the refrigerator’s compressor shutting off.
- Finally, you will need to decide whether or not you have time to fix your fridge.
Top 6 Causes of Refrigerator Problems
When your fridge is not working properly or not cooling properly, it is most likely due to one of the following six causes:
- A clogged filter
- A lack of fresh air
- An overworked motor
- An overloaded compressor
- A faulty thermostat
- Frost build-up
Kenmore Elite Refrigerator Compressor Replacement Cost
Kenmore Elite Refrigerator Compressor Replacement Cost: The cost to replace the Kenmore Elite refrigerator compressor is expensive. It is estimated that a new compressor will cost $50 to $300.
Steps to Reset Kenmore Refrigerator
Kenmore refrigerator owners should know how to reset their appliances if they ever need a repair or if they want to sell them. There are many ways to reset your refrigerator, but some may not be the best for your appliance.
The following steps are for a Kenmore refrigerator.
- Unplug the appliance and wait for 10 minutes before proceeding.
- Remove the back panel on the unit by pressing it and sliding it out.
- Remove any screws holding the cover in place and remove the cover from the unit.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the bottom screws holding the compressor onto the fan housing, then disconnect the old compressor from the fan housing using wire cutters or pliers.
- Install new compressor on fan housing by connecting old compressor wires to a new one using wire cutters or pliers.
- Reattach the cover to the unit by reversing steps 3 and 4.
- Plug-in unit and test.
Another way to reset a refrigerator is to unplug it for about an hour. This may be inconvenient for some people, but it’s the only way to ensure that the coils are warm enough to conduct electricity.
Kenmore is a leading manufacturer of home appliances. If your fridge is not working or cooling properly, the first thing you should do is check if it’s plugged in.
If it’s not plugged in, you’ll need to plug it back in and make sure that the power cord is firmly attached to the back of your refrigerator. This guide is meant to be a quick fix for those having problems with their refrigerator cooling.
We have provided the steps to make your Kenmore fridge cool again. If you follow these steps and still have troubles, please contact your local appliance repair company for assistance.