Welcome to our website, where you’ll learn and overcome some difficulties you’re facing with your device and a lot more. If you’re eager to know how auto brightness windows 10 works, since you’re here then all you have to do is to follow us carefully.
How Do I Turn Off Auto-Brightness Windows 10?
In this guide, you’ll learn how to turn off auto-brightness windows 10 and a lot more.
To enable or disable this feature on Windows 10:
- Open the Settings app
- Select “System
- Select “Display
- Turn the “Change brightness automatically when lighting changes” option on or off.
You’ll only see this option if your device has an ambient brightness sensor.
You can change this setting through the Control Panel, too:
- Open the Control Panel
- Select “Hardware and sound
- Select “Power Options
- Click “Change plan settings” next to the power plan you’re using
- Click “Change advanced power settings.”
Expand the “Display” section here, and then expand the “Enable adaptive brightness” section. The options here let you control whether adaptive brightness is used when you’re on battery or when you’re plugged in. For example, you could disable it when you’re plugged in and leave it enabled when you’re on battery power.
You can adjust your screen brightness both automatically and manually, and both have their time and place. Enabling automatic brightness won’t prevent you from tweaking your brightness with hotkeys or the options in Windows whenever you feel like it, either, so you have nothing to lose by trying all the above options out.
How Do I Turn Off Auto-Brightness On my Computer?
In this section, you’ll learn how to turn off auto-brightness windows 10 on your computer. It’s really frustrating when your computer keeps brightening by itself.
For some Windows PCs, there’s an adaptive brightness or auto-brightness setting that can sometimes present problems for the average user. This auto-brightness feature is powered by ambient light sensors that measure the light surrounding the device and adjust accordingly.
Unfortunately, screen brightness is a highly personal setting and many would prefer to manually adjust these settings. In some contexts, constantly auto-adjusting brightness may be a nuisance. For example, if you’re working outside at a cafe with dappled sunshine, the screen brightness may change rapidly in a way that can distract you from your work.
Luckily, there are solutions to remedy this issue. Below, we’ll guide you through the steps so you can learn how to change the auto-brightness windows 10 setting on your PC’s display and get your preferred level of brightness every single time.
- Go to the Start menu and open the Control Panel
- In the Control Panel, go to Power Options
- After the Power Options window pops up, click on Change Plan Settings to look at your current power plan
- Choose the option to Change advanced power settings located at the bottom of the window. This will open up the Advanced Power Options window
- Scroll down to the Display option. Expand it to show the Adaptive Brightness option
- Choose to turn on or turn off this feature for both when it’s on battery power and when the computer is plugged in
- Save the settings through clicking Apply and then OK
- If you don’t find an Adaptive Display-setting, your device might not have a built-in ambient light sensor.
- If you followed the instructions but the adaptive brightness didn’t change your auto-brightness setting, you’ll need to turn off the Sensor Monitoring service by pressing Win + R and typing services.msc. Then press Enter
- In the services window, click on the Sensor Monitoring Service which will lead to the service settings window
- Click Stop and select Disabled from the drop-down menu found next to the Startup type
- Save changes by clicking OK
- How To Make Bootable USB Mac Windows 10 Free
- What Is Com Surrogate Process In Windows 10
- Computer Screen Goes Black But Computer Still Running
- How To Switch To HDMI On Laptop Pc 3 Quick Steps
Adaptive Brightness: How it Works
If you have a smartphone, you’re probably already familiar with auto-brightness windows 10. Your screen changes from very bright to dark based on the light coming in through its sensors. This helps to prevent your phone from being overly bright and unnecessarily wasting battery life.
This same technology is available in certain computers. Microsoft first introduced auto-brightness in Windows 8 computers but Windows 10 PCs may also include this feature.
What Keys Brighten The Screen?
If you spend a lot of time on your Windows 10 computer or device, knowing how to turn up the brightness and how to lower it can come in handy. This setting is especially important when you use a laptop or a tablet, because, whether you are indoors or outdoors, you might need to adjust the display’s brightness according to your surroundings.
Luckily, Windows 10 offers several options for changing this setting. Read our article and learn how to turn down the auto-brightness of windows 10 or how to increase the brightness for your display in Windows 10:
On some keyboards, there are keys specially designed to help you modify the screen brightness with ease. On an HP Spectre 13t laptop, you can use the F2 and F3 keys to lower or increase the screen brightness.
On our Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop with Windows 10, you can press the key combination Fn + F11 to lower the brightness and Fn + F12 to increase it.
These keys and keyboard shortcuts are available on most Windows 10 laptops and tablets. Look for similar keys with the brightness-specific sun icon on them.
Where is The Brightness Control on Windows 10?
You’ll get to know where brightness control is located on windows 10 in this section.
Some PCs can let Windows automatically adjust screen brightness based on the current lighting conditions. To find out if your PC supports this:
- Go to Settings
- Under Brightness and color, look for the Change brightness automatically when lighting changes check box.
- Then select it to use this feature. This automatic setting helps make sure your screen is readable wherever you go. Even if you use it, you can still move the Change brightness for the built-in display slider to fine-tune the brightness level.
Should I Use Adaptive Brightness?
In this section, you’ll learn whether or not to use adaptive brightness on your device. There are plenty of reasons why it might be in your best interest to adjust or turn off the auto-brightness setting. For example, if your computer’s auto-brightness windows 10 adjustments are distracting from your work or entertainment needs, it could be time to take a look at your settings.
Perhaps you work with multiple monitors so you’d like the displays to show the same level of brightness across all of them for consistency.
Another reason you may want to adjust or turn off adaptive brightness is if you need a specific screen brightness in a particular setting. When you’re working in a dimly lit room, you’ll likely want your computer’s brightness to be set lower so you can continue to work without hurting your eyes. On the other hand, if you’re working outside, you’ll need the screen to be brighter so you can see properly.
You can change these settings manually or have Windows change it based on whether or not your device is plugged in, how much battery power you have left, or if you’re using an ambient light sensor built into it.
What Is Adaptive Brightness Windows 10
Adaptive brightness is a feature in Windows that uses an ambient light sensor to automatically adjust a display’s brightness to the surroundings. This may cause unwanted brightness level changes unless disabled.
To disable the adaptive brightness feature in Windows, follow these steps:
Open the Windows Control Panel. To launch the Control Panel, type the control panel in the search box located on the taskbar, then select Control Panel.
- Select Hardware and Sound.
- Select Power Options
- Next to your active power plan, click Change plan settings
- Below, click Change advanced power settings
- Scroll down to Display and expand Enable adaptive brightness
- Set both On battery and Plugged in modes to Off
If the issue persists:
- Press Windows + S and launch Task Scheduler
- Go to Task Scheduler Library and expand it
- Expand Microsoft > Windows
- Select Display
- Choose Brightness and disable or delete the task BrightnessReset
If the brightness issue is not solved, make sure the Graphics driver, Windows, and BIOS are up to date.
How To Fix Screen Keeps Dimming Windows 10
Automatic screen dimming on your laptop could be annoying sometimes. And in this article, we’ll show you how to disable the adaptive brightness feature which causes the screen of your laptop to dim. The solution is very simple, and it requires just a couple of tweaks to your power plan.
Many modern laptops powered by Windows feature adaptive light sensors that adjust the brightness of the screen based on ambient lighting. But unfortunately, this feature doesn’t work like it is supposed to work in Windows, and that could cause some problems with your experience.
How Do I Stop My Screen From Dimming in Windows 10?
At first, you will need to disable Adaptive Brightness. If the problem with brightness changing annoys you constantly, here’s what you should do to fix it:
- Go to Control Panel, Hardware, and Sound, Power Options
- Click on Change plan settings next to your active power plan
- Click on Change advanced power settings
- Scroll down to Display, then under Enable adaptive brightness, switch it off for both the battery and plugged in modes
Adaptive light sensors are available for Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptops. The feature is also available in Windows 10-powered laptops. It has been this way since the very first day the operating system was released for manufacturers.
Speaking of new Windows 10 versions, if you installed the latest OS release, keep in mind that the steps to follow may be a bit different.
This is how you disable adaptive brightness on your laptop running the newest Windows 10 version:
- Type Control Panel in Search/Cortana
- Click on Hardware and Sound tab > Power Options
- On the left pane, click on Choose when to turn off the display
- Click on Advanced power settings
- Click on Display and expand Enable adaptive brightness
- Set both options to Off and then Apply.
- Block display dimming for good
Another quick method to prevent your laptop screen from dimming when unplugged is to simply set the ‘Turn off the display option in Power Options to ‘Never’.